Guide for Authors
Article publication fee
All articles published in the Journal of Animal Behaviour and Biometeorology (ISSN 2318-1265) are published in full open access. In order to provide free access to readers, and to cover the costs of copyediting, typesetting, long-term archiving (DOI), and journal management, a Publication Fee of 300 USD (American Dollars) applies to papers accepted after peer review. This Publication Fee is valid for articles submitted from July 01, 2019.
Brazilian authors: payment through the PagSeguro, PayPal or transfer bank.
Authors outside Brazil: payment through PayPal, TransferWise or transfer bank.
There are no additional charges based on color, pages, figures, or other elements. There is also no article submission fee.
*An additional 7% is charged. This additional refers to the rate of PayPal or PagSeguro.
Manuscript Submission Overview
The Journal of Animal Behaviour and Biometeorology publishes three types of articles:
• Original research articles: original manuscripts that contain new discoveries in research consistent with the objectives and scope of the JABB. Original research works are limited to a maximum of 7,500 words.
• Short communications: short manuscripts (maximum 2,500 words) describing the new research findings or information with the intention to circulate this information quickly. The Editorial Board will streamline the review process for this type of manuscript.
• Review articles: contains no new information, but rather summarizes the trends and recent developments within the areas inserted in the focus of the JABB. The review articles are limited to a maximum of 7,500 words.
For the three types of articles, the number of words limit mentioned above, do not take into account the figures and tables but references should be included in the total. The Editorial Board reserves the right to waive word boundaries, although it can be made a request to the Editor-in-Chief before the manuscript submission.
JABB encourages the publication of special issues. The Special Issue is dedicated to a single theme, well defined, and should contain between five and fifteen articles. The proposal for a special issue to be sent to the Editor-in-Chief and include the following: title of the special issue, a brief description of the reason behind the special issue, the deadline for presentation of authors. All papers will be submitted to the evaluation process by peers normally, which includes the possibility of rejection. For more details on the preparation and publication of special issues, please contact the Editor-in-Chief.
This journal uses software for plagiarism detection. We do not tolerate manuscripts that jeopardize ethics in publishing.
Authors are required to comply with the guidelines presented here. The Editorial Board may return the manuscripts that are inconsistent with the guidelines. The authors are also required to present the material in English clear and concise. Although the editorial board and reviewers can give suggestions to improve the clarity of language, this is not its role. Thus, the authors who wish to publish your articles in English must submit them for translation by a qualified person and present us with a certificate. The Editorial Board reserves the right to completely reject manuscripts whose interpretation is significantly hampered by language interests of clarity.
# The language of articles published in JABB: English only*.
*Brazilians or authors from countries of Portuguese origin may submit their manuscript in Portuguese. If the article is accepted for publication, the authors will have to translate it into English.
Bioedit is a trusted language editing service uniquely specialized in the medical and life sciences. Since 2001, we have edited over 50,000 manuscripts, and 90% of our authors say they would recommend Bioedit to a colleague because of our personalized and highly-rated editing service, which includes the following:
- Scientific editing by a subject-specific Ph.D./MD scientific editor with an excellent publication track record
and extensive experience as an author, reviewer, or referee.
- Free in-house proofreading in our UK office by an English graduate proofreader.
- Free revision of revised manuscripts (T&Cs apply).
- Super express editing with 48-hour turnaround available.
Try Bioedit and receive a -10% discount using offer code: JABB.
Editage is a world leader in English-language editing, translation, and author education services with over 14 years of experience working with more than 190,000 authors from over 115 countries. They offer the distinct advantage of superior quality editing by subject-area expert PhDs, MDs, and BELS-certified editors and a range of benefits such as free formatting according to journal guidelines, per-word pricing, multiple payment options, and 100% quality and on-time delivery guarantee
Why Choose Editage:
- Subject-focused language editing combined with a strong understanding of the journal publication process.
- Local client servicing support in English, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and Portuguese.
- Confidentiality assured through our ISO-certified privacy and IT security systems.
- Different editing plans and range of turnaround times.
- Free formatting, 365-day multiple-round editing, free Q&A with the editor, and 100% quality and on-time delivery guarantee.
- Client-friendly and secure online submission system.
JABB authors receive a 10% discount when they use the coupon code: JABB10.
We encourage authors to help expedite the review process, listing at least three potential reviewers (who had no role in the production of the manuscript) and your contact information. Authors can also list the people they prefer not review the manuscript. This information must be provided when article submission in the "Comments to the Editor" section.
All manuscripts will be sent to at least two reviewers. Reviewers are invited to treat the manuscript as confidential. The trial of the Editor-in-Chief is final with respect to decisions on publication.
• Language: English;
• Word Processor: Word for Windows;
• Text: Times New Roman, size 12. There should be no words in the text in bold;
• Spacing: 1.5 throughout the text;
• Page: A4 paper, portrait orientation, top and bottom margins of 2.5 cm, and left and right 3.0 cm, a maximum of 20 pages with lines and pages numbered;
• The quantities are expressed in SI (International System) and scientific terminology must follow international conventions of each area in question;
Gender and species names should be italicized.
Only the first letter of the first word should be capitalized.
A maximum of 250 words;
At least three and no more than five but not included in the Title;
The Introduction should state the purpose of the investigation and give a brief review of the literature.
• Materials and Methods
This section must follow the Introduction and should provide sufficient information to allow the repetition of the experimental work.
This section should describe the outcome of the study. Data should be presented as concisely as possible, if any, in the form of tables and figures, although very large tables should be avoided.
The Discussion should be an interpretation of the Results and their significance with reference to the work of other authors.
Note: The Results may be accompanied by the Discussion in the same section or separately.
These should be as brief as possible. Any award that requires acknowledgment must be mentioned. The names of funding organizations should be written in full.
The Reference list should only include works that are cited in the text and that have been published or accepted for publication. Personal communications and unpublished works should only be mentioned in the text. Reference list entries should be in alphabetical order by surnames of the first author of each article.
• Original Articles
Souza Jr JBF, Oliveira VRM, Arruda AMV, Silva AM, Costa LLM (2015) The relationship between corn particle size and thermoregulation of laying hens in an equatorial semi-arid environment. International Journal of Biometeorology 59:121-125.
• Articles by DOI
Souza-Junior JBF, El-Sabrout K, Arruda AMV, Costa LLM (2019) Estimating sensible heat loss in laying hens through thermal imaging. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. doi: 10.1016/j.compag.2019.105038
Silva RG (2008) Biofísica ambiental: os animais e seu ambiente. Funep, Jaboticabal.
• Book chapter
Brown B, Aaron M (2001) The politics of nature. In: Smith J (ed) The rise of modern genomics, 3rd edn. Wiley, New York, pp 230-257.
• Online documents
Cartwright J (2007) Big stars have weather too. IOP Publishing PhysicsWeb. Accessed on: June 26, 2007
• Dissertation or Thesis
Souza Jr JBF (2012) Termorregulação e produção de ovos de galinhas Label Rouge em ambiente equatorial semiárido. Dissertation, Universidade Federal Rural do Semi-Árido.
References in the text should appear by name and year in parentheses. Some examples:
• This research spans many disciplines (Thompson 1990).
• This result was later contradicted by Becker and Seligman (1996).
• This effect has been extensively studied (Abbott 1991; Barakat et al 1995, Kelso and Smith 1998; Medvec et al 1999).
• All tables should be numbered with Arabic numerals.
• Tables should be cited in the text in numerical order.
• For each table, please provide a caption (title) in the upper table explaining the components.
• Identify any material previously published, making original source as a reference at the end of the table caption.
• Footnotes to tables should be indicated by superscript lower case letters (or asterisks for significance values and other statistical data) and included in the body of the table.
For the best quality of the final product, it is highly recommended that the figures (graphics, photographs, etc.) are sent separately from the article in the additional documents section at the time of submission. The figures will be produced with the highest standards, accurately details. The published work will reflect directly on the quality of the provided work. Some questions should be taken into consideration:
• Provide the figures electronically.
• Indicate the graphics program that was used to create art.
• The TIFF format offers a higher quality for graphics. MS Office files are also acceptable.
• Name your picture files (graphics or photos) to "Figure" and its number, for example, Figure 1.
• The legend (title) should come at the bottom of the figure.
All authors should disclose any personal and/or financial relationships with other people or organizations that may improperly influence their paper. A conflict of interest statement should be provided in the manuscript file immediately prior to the References section. If there is no interest to declare, put it as follows: "We confirm that we have no conflicts of interest."
Ethics Statement on the Animals Used in Experiments
Articles submitted for possible publication in JABB must respect the animal welfare during research. International, national and/or institutional guidelines for animal care and use should be followed by the authors. Studies must be approved by a research ethics committee at the institution. Please provide the ethics committee name and the authorization number. In the manuscript, the Material and Methods section should start with the following statement:
"Animal care and handling procedures followed the guidelines of the Ethics Committee on the Use of Animals in Experiments. (Include committee name e authorization number)."
JABB adheres to the COPE guidelines relating to ethical oversight.
CrossMark Policies and other Policies
Applying the CrossMark icon is a commitment by Malque Publishing to maintain the content published and alert readers to changes if and when they occur.